I believe that most of you who have learned about the decoration industry know about silicone sealants well, but MS Polymer Sealant has not been widely popularized, so what is the difference between MS Polymer Sealant and silicone sealant? Please follow in the footsteps of KASTAR today to find out!
The full name of MS Polymer Sealant is modified silane polyether sealant, which is a new generation of building sealant developed after polysulfide sealant, silicone sealant, and polyurethane sealant. It is mainly used in the fields of bonding, caulking, seaming, sealing and waterproofing, and reinforcement of construction engineering and decoration. Applications in industrial fields such as elevators are also expanding.
Silicone sealant is an ointment-like material that solidifies into a tough rubber-like solid when exposed to moisture in the air. Mainly divided into deacetic acid type, dealcoholization type, deamination type, depopulation type. Silicone sealant is commonly known as glass sealant because it is often used for bonding and sealing of glass.
Silicone sealant does not flow under its own weight, so it can be used for joints on top or side walls without sagging, slumping, or running away. It is mainly used for the bonding of dry and clean metals, glass, most non-grease-free woods, silicone resins, vulcanized silicone rubber, ceramics, natural and synthetic fibers, and many painted plastic surfaces. Good quality silicone sealant will not be squeezed out and the physical properties will not change when used below zero degrees Celsius. Fully cured silicone sealant can remain effective at temperatures up to 204°C, but the effective time will be shortened at temperatures as high as 218°C.
Compared with silicone sealant, MS Polymer Sealant has more prominent advantages:
- Environmental-friendly: MS Polymer Sealant has no solvent addition, no formaldehyde, toluene, xylene, and other harmful substances released to the human body, and the nearly does not have VOC content, The VOC content of Sealant is 8 times lower than the national standard, almost 0, which is an environmentally-friendly; KASTAR focuses on the research and development and production enterprises of MS Polymer Sealant, and MS Polymer Sealant does not stain like some silicone sealants (low molecular weight silicone material bleeds from the sealing surface) and does not compromise the environmental performance of the substrate.
- Wider bonding range and stronger bonding strength: MS Polymer Sealant is not only suitable for most building materials, but also has good adhesion to engineering plastics such as acrylic, ABS, plexiglass, and porous materials such as concrete. It has more and wider applications than silicone sealant. After experiments: KASTAR’s superstructural adhesive can withstand 300KG/per square decimeter, and the bonding strength is really
- Not spill oily molecules: KASTAR MS Polymer Sealant can maintain the beauty of the building for a long time, and not contaminate the surface and joints of building materials, while the silicone sealant will resolve the small molecules, and together with rainwater and dust, it will form hard-to-remove stains on the exterior of the building.
- Paintability: MS Polymer Sealant is compatible with most paints and coatings. The surface of MS Polymer Sealant can be painted and painted. In wet and dry conditions, it can be directly sprayed on the surface of the sealant. It is compatible with most coatings. Does not affect the surface appearance and quality of the paint. At the same time, there is no pollution, and the coating can also extend the service life of the sealant, which reduces the overall cost. The silicone sealant can not be maintained due to the shrinkage of surface tension.
- Strong elasticity: Because the joints of concrete slabs will undergo expansion deformation and displacement movement due to temperature changes, concrete shrinkage, slight vibration or settlement of buildings, etc. For safe and reliable bonding and sealing, the sealant used must have a certain elasticity, and can freely expand and contract with the tension and deformation of the seam to maintain the seal of the seam, and the displacement capacity of the sealant must be greater than the relative displacement of the board seam. In the process of repeated cyclic deformation, it will not tear, resist puncture, and can maintain and restore its original performance and shape. After testing, the elastic recovery rate, displacement capacity, and tensile modulus of KASTAR MS Polymer Sealant all exceed the requirements of the national standard and have good mechanical properties. (Reference standard GB/T 22083-2008 and GB/T 13477.17-2002)
- Weather-resistance: In JCJ1-2014 “Technical Regulations for Prefabricated Concrete Structures”, it is clearly stated that the sealing materials selected for building joints should not only meet the mechanical performance requirements other than shear resistance and expansion and deformation capacity, but also have to meet the requirements of building physical properties such as mildew resistance, water resistance, and weather resistance. If the material is improperly selected, the sealant will crack, fail to seal, or even fail, affecting the safety of the building. KASTAR MS Polymer Sealant has polyether as the main chain in structure and contains a silane group of curing functional group at the same time, which greatly improves the weather resistance of the sealant. MS Polymer Sealant itself does not produce air bubbles and can resist rain, snow, and ultraviolet rays. It can effectively inhibit and avoid sealant cracking, breaking, yellowing, mildew, and degumming when long-term exposure to harsh outdoor environments.
- Before use, it must be ensured that the substrate to be bonded is clean, dry, and free of floating ash and oil.
- Due to the difference in the characteristics of the substrate and the different construction methods, the compatibility test of the corresponding substrate should be done before the product is used.
- Not suitable for direct glass bonding.
- Considering the high-strength adhesion, it is recommended to cooperate with the primer, which can effectively treat the surface substrate and improve the continuous adhesion of the product.
- Too low temperature and humidity may cause difficult or slow curing of the product.
After reading this article, I believe you have learned the difference between MS Polymer Sealant and silicone sealant and know the advantages of MS Polymer Sealant as well! KASTAR MS Polymer Sealant will give you the most comfortable construction experience. If you have related cooperation needs, welcome to contact KASTAR!